I have bookmarked this recipe almost 4 months ago from 365 Days of Baking but was contemplating if I should really try making it as she only rated the recipe 2 over 4.
Running out of new dinner ideas so I stopped thinking and went ahead buying all the ingredients - my hubby actually encouraged as he seems to love all the ingredients in the recipe. The result?? It was amazing and I am so glad! And the secret to making it great was the chicken broth that she missed out in the recipe! So moist and so flavourful ! Thanks 365 Days of Baking for the recipe from Day 117 - Stuffed Chicken Breasts!
Recipe adapted from 365 Days of Baking with minor adjustments
Makes 4 pieces of chicken stuffed chicken breasts
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved and pounded flat
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped, fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped broccoli
1/2 cup onion, minced
3/4 cup shredded cheddar/ Monterey Jack cheese ( I used jalapeño cheddar cheese) 4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350ºF.1) In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms, broccoli and onion.
2) Saute over medium-high heat until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
3) Remove from heat and allow time to cool.
4) Sprinkle each chicken breast with salt and pepper.
5) In a mixing bowl, pour contents of skillet and mix with cheese; place approximately 2 tablespoons on each chicken breast.
6) Roll up each chicken breast and secure with toothpicks.
7) Dredge the four chicken rolls in flour and melt remaining butter in a large skillet; brown on all sides over medium-high heat for approximately 5-8 minutes.
8) Place the rolls in baking dish and pour broth over chicken.
9) Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove toothpicks and serve hot.