I am a seafood lover and prawn is always on top of my list. So when I laid my eyes on the shiny fresh prawns at the local market, I couldn't resist and bought a whole lot of of them back! Spoiling myself and my family with crispy golden deep fried prawns as starter was one great indulgence!
Makes 20 Golden Deep Fired Prawns
Recipe can be halved
20 medium prawns - Head Removed, shelled with tail intact and deveined.
3 tsp garlic powder
2 large egg whites
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups Japanese Panko or breadcrumbs
1) Using a sharp kitchen knife, cut along the deveining slit to split open the prawns right before the tail. Open up the prawns flat. Please see illustration on http://www.asianrecipesonline.com/cooking_guide/peeling-and-deveining-prawns.php if you are unsure.
2) Marinate prawns with salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.
3) Place flour in a large plate, panko in another large plate and lightly beaten egg white into a shallow dish.
4) Dip each prawn into the flour (tapping off excess) then the egg white and lastly press to cover with panko.
5) Heat oil in a deep frying pan at medium high heat enough to cover the whole prawn.
6) Fry prawn for approx. 2 minutes or until golden. Fry for longer if it's a larger prawn.
Drain with kitchen towels and serve immediately with your favorite sauce. I like tartar sauce and tomato sauce. Enjoy!!